Task 1a: Reflecting on my CV and creating an online profile

I must admit I had been slightly terrified about this task as I have just graduated from drama school where I was taught what my CV should look like. Therefore my CV is up to date and I felt that I couldn't fault it in any way. However, just because I think there won't be anything to change, this doesn't mean I can't reflect on it and it certainly doesn't mean that I can't re-write it as my blog profile. So here is the first question; which bits do I keep for the more concise/online profile version of it? 
  1. My headshot. As a performer my headshot is the most important thing, it is why our industry is the only industry were putting a photo on your CV is essential rather than amateur. Our appearance does matter as it should match the characters we're going up for. 
  2. My training. I feel that as a recent graduate who might not have many or any recognisable credits, stating my training is the second most important thing. It gives an employer assurance that I am indeed a professional actor. 
  3. Playing age and appearance details. As these should be covered by the headshot anyway I decided to omit them from the online version. 
  4. Agency. I thought this is a tricky one. As soon as I got an agent when graduating the first thing I did was to update all my online profiles to include their name. Of course it is essential and useful for me to have my agent on all casting websites and my printed CV, but I believe that in any other professional profile (like this blog) it doesn't really tell anyone anything about me rather than the fact that I have an agent. 
  5. Credits. Credits can be long and hopefully they are, therefore I do not see the point of trying to fit them all in a concise professional profile. Perhaps I can mention highlights, such as my most important or most recent credits.
  6. Skills. Again this can be a long list and therefore I feel that if any skills are going to be mentioned, they should be those that I am very very highly skilled in. 
  7. Spotlight number. One of the most important things and the reason I'm mentioning it 7th is because it is also one of the reasons points 3,4,5 and 6 do not make it to the cut. Spotlight (the industry standard casting website for actors) lists all my photos, all my details, my agent's details, my credits, skills and training. It also has my showreel and voice clips. And it is basically my full online CV. If anyone wants to know more or get in touch for work they can do so through there and therefore it would be wise of me to ensure there's always a link to my spotlight page. 
  8. Contact details. The contact details are on the hard copy because they are the only way for people to know how to contact me. However, in an online profile they should be able to contact me directly from that website and if they wanted to contact my agent they could do so via spotlight. 
  9. Natural accent. I have struggled with this a little bit as I don't really have a neutral accent, but a combination of Greek and English. When I perform I tend to go more English and especially if I am asked to I can sound 100% English, however I can also sound 100% Greek. As I want people to be aware of that and I can't write an entire paragraph explaining it, I simply state that I am a bicultural actor. For more information on exactly how I sound they can listen to my voice clips on spotlight or watch my showreel. 
  10. Location. Especially in an online profile stating my location is crucial. It can be very frustrating for an employer or a collaborator to find their ideal actor and not know were in the world they are!
So that's all. Not scary at all after all... I shall be writing my online profile now so check out my 'about me' section. Thanks for reading. 

Update: I am back to add a little comparison of my old and new profiles.

Old
 New

So I decided that I didn't feel confident enough with any of my skills to put them in my brief profile. I think that is fine for now, but possible things to add soon would be my kickboxing and singing as I currently work on those skills on a regular basis. In fact doing this task I realised that I still haven't updated my CV to include my singing range! And I so proudly bragged about how it was up to date... Currently I am working on a project which I would love to include in my profile as well, but as it is early stages this can wait too. And finally thank you to Matthew Davidson as I have very obviously borrowed your idea to use the separators (|) in order to keep my profile clean and easy to read.

Comments

Popular Posts