My professional network (Task 3a)

I always joke about how 90% of my Facebook friends are actors or theatre practitioners/ filmmakers. 

Since engaging with reader 3 I have finally appreciated how lucky I am to have this. Through the past five years I have built up a professional network that can be (and has been) useful in so many different ways. Of course it's not just my Facebook friends list that is flooding with industry professionals (some of which I have on the restricted list so they can only see my public profile and the connection is solely for professional reasons). There is also the people I follow and who follow me back on twitter, Facebook groups and even mailing lists. 

Here are the main networks I have identified: 
  1. London School of Dramatic Art Alumni (Facebook group)
  2. LSDA all 2014 graduates (Facebook group/friends)
  3. LSDA teachers / directors (Facebook friends, email and phone)
  4. Drama Studio London 2 year course (2015-2017) (Facebook group/friends, email and phone)
  5. DSL all 2016 graduates (Facebook group/friends)
  6. DSL all 2017 graduates (Facebook group, friends, email and phone)
  7. DSL teachers / directors (Facebook friends, email and phone)
  8. Facebook friends list and mutual twitter follows (including people I have worked with, people I would like to work with or simply friends who are also in the industry.)
  9. Facebook groups such as BOSSY and British Actors Network 
Really important to point out here that without Web 2.0 most of these connections would not have been possible! I would like to share a few very different examples of how having these networks has helped me in my profession recently. 

A. My reference for this very course

When I saw that I had to submit a reference with my application I had a wide choice of people I could ask for that reference. Having kept connected with multiple directors from my drama school I could choose the person I felt would be the most appropriate.

B. Help with choosing my agent

When I got an interview with my current agent I knew that if they offered me representation I shouldn't just take it without making sure they were right for me. I did some research and found out as much as I could about them including that one of their clients is someone I knew from my first drama school (who did a more advanced course than me). As I had this person on my Facebook friends and as we always had good relations I was able to email him and ask for his opinion on the agent.

C. Standing out in an audition

It was only this week actually that my network proved extremely useful when in an audition I said where I trained and immediately found out that the producers and I had a mutual friend from my drama school, which we both really admire - fantastic way to break the ice!

D. Getting my friend a job and making myself look good

It's been just over a week now since I recommended a friend from drama school for a job. The director was very upset with one of the actors and was concerned about his professionalism, he said he wished he could find someone new but didn't feel he had enough time. I immediately suggested that with such a wide network of actors I should definitely be able to find someone even in such sort notice. The director was extremely happy with the actor I found, something that made me look really good. I also got to help out a friend and ensure a smooth collaboration with my scene partner as I had worked with him before. 

E. Creating my own work and having others join me

The past few months I have been working on a project and a new theatre company (the name of which I can't reveal as we haven't launched yet!) This company would not have been possible and the project wouldn't have grown as it has if it wasn't for the two amazing people that have joined me and whom I met at drama school. I also expect that the company's success will rely on my growing professional network's support, something I didn't have a few years ago.

Comments

Popular Posts