Finding a focus (starting on module 2)

Since reading the module 2 Handbook I've become very excited about finding my inquiry topic. Drawing from ideas that sparked in the end of module 1, I've been searching for areas within my practice I'd like to know more about.

The following are not inquiry topics just rough ideas of areas within which my inquiry topic can land.

  • Ways actors can use writing to advance their acting career
  • The benefits of creating your own work as a performer
  • How can actors make their uniqueness work for them rather than against them?
  • Representing yourself rather than expecting it all from the agent - how can actors represent themselves successfully? 
  • Expanding my career to include performing regularly as a solo artist
The topic that seems most appealing right now is the latter. How can I, as a trained actor, utilise my skills and experience to create solo work? What opportunities exist to perform as a solo artist? What are the benefits of that? Can I find other actors who do that? Are there any famous actors who do that? Or famous storytellers / spoken word artists / stand up comedians who started out as actors / were trained in acting? 

    • Spoken word poetry 
    • One woman shows 
    • Storytelling 
    • stand up comedy 
This week and next week I will be exploring literature related to the above questions and by the end of next week I aim to have found my Inquiry title or at least a provisional one!


Here's a photo of me rehearsing for the monologue play 'Fleshed Out' back in 2015

Comments

Popular Posts