Starting my inquiry (Module 3)

Module 3 has officially started for two weeks now and I decided it's finally time I post a blog on what I have been up to and what has changed since receiving feedback on my inquiry proposal and after writing my feedback response.

Research question: What are the skills and preparation required by an actor in order to create a successful one-person show? 

In order to explore this question I am using three data gathering tools; interviews, my own observations and looking at relevant texts/literature.

Observations (1)
  • Recording my thoughts/observations after watching the same one-person show three times (1)

Interviews (2)
  • Interviewing industry professionals who came to watch the show with me (2.1)
  • Interviewing the creator/performer of that show (2.2)
  • Interviewing other people who have done one-person shows (2.3)
Texts/Literature (3)
  • Looking at literature by professionals (both actors/creators and other industry professionals - agents, reviewers, directors, casting directors, producers etc.) (3.1)
  • Looking at reviews of the show I watched (3.2)


My initial plan was to spread the days I watch the show in the first six weeks of my inquiry, but as the show I found is on for only one week (week 3) I had to change my plan. Therefore I spent the first week reading the handbook and responding to feedback and the second week organising my guests and the interview questions, while looking at literature on all the data collection tools I am using. 

Week 3 (starting in a couple of days) is expected to be the busiest as I will finalise my interview questions, watch the show three times (with four industry professionals) and potentially conduct some of the first interviews too. I say 'potentially' as this depends largely on the interviewees availability and as they are all freelancers they can't let me know until closer to the time. 

I have found the nature of having to interview people with unpredictable schedules a little bit scary, but I am positive that it will all work out and I am prepared to be very flexible with my own schedule (both work and my research schedule) in order to get those interviews done as soon as possible. I can then focus more on literature and finally proceed to my analysis. 


Comments

Popular Posts