Campus session 12/10/2018 (Module 3 perspective)

Today we had a very useful discussion at the campus session, starting from where everyone attending is right now in their BAPP journey. The notes I took are mostly from a module 3 perspective, but they should definitely be useful to module 2 and 1 as well.
Your inquiry is not a static thing
It's important to remember this when planning the inquiry proposal in module 2 and when executing it in module 3. You start from somewhere, but there's constant development and even when you have formed your inquiry question, you shouldn't think of it as a question, but more like the description of the topic you're exploring.
Literature review - Data analysis
My main question was the separation of literature review and literature as data. According to the handbook it is recommended that our essay begins with an introduction and a literature review before moving to an overview of the inquiry process and then the analysis of the data. So my question was that since the literature I include in my overview is also data to be compared and analysed against the data I gather from other media what is to be included in the overview and what is to be left for the analysis.
The answer to that seemed simple enough - the literature overview is the place where you introduce all the texts you will then refer to in your data analysis. So that when you start putting them against other data you found you have already introduced them in your overview and the analysis will run smoother.


Research is not the academic paper.
For some reason I was under the belief that I cannot start on my professional artefact before I finish the essay. This was because I knew that only by doing the research will I know what kind of professional artefact is most appropriate for the findings of my research. Although this may indeed be true "doing the research" is not writing the essay, but the data collection and analysis which then will be presented in the form of an essay and in the form of a professional artefact.
Remember you're not answering the inquiry question. It's not that you're not giving a definite answer, you're not giving an answer at all, you explore.
Thinking of the analysis as an exploration rather than as answering the question will help us be more open when looking at data and will most likely result in a more interesting and meaningful research process.

Comments

  1. Hello,

    I've commented on here... but it isn't showing? Can you please confirm that you have received my comment?

    Best Wishes,
    Matt M3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, this is the only comment I have received form you. Perhaps your other comment didn't post, I haven't received a notification for it and it's not showing here either. Maybe you can retry if that's alright?
      Best,
      Arghierenia

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts