Ethnography - Method - Methodology (Skype discussion 02/10/18 am)

On Tuesday I attended the afternoon Skype session with a Module Three focus, where we discussed, amongst other things, a few research terms. The terms that stood out to me are Ethnography, Method and Methodology. 

The reason why I found these terms very helpful is because they were a bit of a wake up call to constantly reflect on why I do what I do and in this term particularly reflect on why I handle my research in the ways I do. All these won't only enrich my research, but they are important for when I write my reflection.

Ethnography - the scientific description of peoples and cultures with their customs, habits, and mutual differences, (from the Google dictionary).

On the call we spoke about how the way we perceive things and how we record and write about others and things we observe is very much linked to beliefs we already hold, perceptions we already have and our previous experiences.

Method - a particular procedure for accomplishing or approaching something, especially a systematic or established one, (from the Google dictionary).

So in the case of our research, our method is the way we have decided to conduct the research.

Methodology - a system of methods used in a particular area of study and activity, (from the Google dictionary).

Methodology, as we've discussed in the BAPP programme is also the philosophy behind our methods and what makes us use the methods we do.

For that reason on the call we spoke about how combing method and ethnography you get methodology. 

Comments

Popular Posts