Finding my inquiry topic: Solo Performance


So the past couple of weeks I started looking at literature, generally related to the idea of solo performance. Any type of solo performance linked to acting. 

I read about spoken word poetry, performance without using text and  storytelling which branches into narrating and one-person plays. Stand-up comedy and cabaret are also two practices under this category. 

In the above mind map I laid out key books and themes they discuss that I found interesting. Questions that were raised while looking at literature and making this mind map include the following:
  • Why would I want to perform as a solo performer?
  • What do I want to achieve? 
  • Do I want to send a message? If so what is it? 
  • The only solo performance I have done so far is spoken word (socio-political), a one-character play tackling mental health and various monologues. What do I want to focus on next? 
  • Am I doing this to create art? Make money? Promote myself? Get known?
  • Is this a stepping stone in my acting journey or do I want to succeed as a solo performer? 

I read about performers that created solo work after leaving a company. I read about people that only ever wanted to create solo work. People who cared about making money, people who didn't care about this at all and people in the between: wanted to make art, but also make a good living out of it. 

I believe I fall into the latter - yes I am massively interested in solo performance, I want to create work that tackles socio-political issues, primarily mental health issues. I want to raise awareness, make people think and reflect and hopefully help them deal with their own issues. I also want to succeed in doing this and make a living out of it, so that I can continue doing it. I believe I can create work that fuses the concept of one-person plays, poetry and silent performance. I have done this in the past anyway. 

So what is my specific inquiry topic?

I have discussed my ideas with people in my various networks including the BAPP community, and have come up with a few questions. 

  • What is the difference in preparation for an actor when creating and rehearsing a solo-performance as opposed to rehearsing for a role in a company performance? 
  • What kind of extra skills are required by an actor to create solo-work?
  • What influence does your targeted audience have in your work as an actor when creating a solo-performance?
  • When creating solo work as an actor, how do you choose the topic you want to handle and what practices to incorporate in your performance in order to achieve your goals? 

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my optional topics. Thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts